Namir Khoursheed Said Al- Saoudi
Birth: July 1, 1950 in Baaquba- Diyala, Iraq,
Work Address: College of Building & Construction Engineering,
University of Technology,
Tel Mohamed P.O.Box (35010)
E-Mail Address: [email protected],
§ B.Sc. Civil Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Baghdad (1972).
§ M.Sc. Civil - Highway Engineering, College of Engineering ,University
of Baghdad (1974).
§ Ph.D. Geotechnical Engineering, University of Manchester, England (1980).
July 1980 to present: University of Technology, Baghdad, IRAQ:
§ June 2003 to present: Dean, Building and Construction Engineering.
§ April 1995 to present: Professor of Geotechnical Engineering, Head of the Highway and Bridge Engineering Group.
§ December 1986 to April 1995: Assistant Professor of Geotechnical Engineering.
§ July 1980 to December 1986: Lecturer of Geotechnical Engineering.
§ Planned and supervised several Educational and Training Projects in Civil Engineering, University of Technology.
§ September 1975 to April 1980: Civil Engineering Department, University of Manchester, England-- Research Associate.
§ October 1980 to present: Consultant Manager; Engineering Consulting Office, University of Technology, responsible for the following jobs:
§ Oct.2003 to present: Head of the Geotechnical Group, Engineering Consulting Office Responsible for all geotechnical site investigation activities.
§ Jan 2000 to Dec.2003, consultant geotechnical engineer of Baghdad- Baji embankment for the new railway line.
§ Jan 1990 to Dec.2000, participating in consulting groups of selected high rise buildings.
§ October 1980 to December 1990, Head of Material Testing Group, Quality Control Engineer.
§ August 1974 to October 1975: Directorate of Military Works, Baghdad, Iraq-- Highway Designer, Design Office.
1. “Effect of Method of Compaction on Strength of Soil-Lime Mixtures”; Bulletin of the College of Engineering, University of Baghdad, paper No.10, 1979.
2. “Behavior of Some Models of Offshore Structures”; 10th I.C.S.M.F.E., Stockholm, Vol.2,pp83-88,1981.
3. “Compressibility of Model Organic Clays”; Journal of Building Research, Council for Scientific Research, Baghdad, Vol.4, No.2, 1985.
4. “Free Swell Properties of Bentonite / Kaolinite Mixtures”; Journal of Building Research, Council for Scientific Research, Baghdad, Vol.5, No.2, 1986.
5. “Evaluation of Swelling Pressure of Bentonite /Kaolinite Mixtures”; Proc. Fourth Scientific Conference, Scientific Research Council, Baghdad, Oct. 1986.
6. “The Behavior of Model Footing on Expansive Soil”; 2nd International Conf.on Foundations and Tunnels, Vol.1,pp77-82 London Sept.1989.
7. “The Behavior of Strip Model Footings on Two Layered Cohesionless Soil”; 2nd International Conf. on Foundations and Tunnels, Vol.1, pp73-76, London, Sept. 1989.
8. “The Behavior of Model Piles in Expansive Soil”; Proc. of the Pile talk Int. Conf. Jakarta, Indonesia 4-5 July 1990.
9. “Prediction of Swelling Pressure of Soil from Suction Measurements”; Proc. of
the 6th. Int. Congress of the Int. Association of Engineering Geology,
Amsterdam, 6-10 Aug. 1990.
10. “Swelling Characteristics of Soils in Middle Part of Iraq”; Engineering and Technology, Scientific Journal published by the University of Technology - Baghdad. Vol.10, No. 4, 1991.
11. “Model Piles Embedded in Expansive Soil Overlaying a Cohesionless Soil”; Proc. of the Second Jordanian Conf. on Civil Engineering Vol.1, Amman- Jordan, 1992.
12. “Stabilization of Safra Clay (Western Desert, Iraq) Using Chemical Admixture”; Proc. of the 5th Arab Conf. for Structural Engineering.
13. “Evaluation of Swell Pressure of Soils Using Three Testing Techniques”; “DIRASAT” (A referred research journal published by the Dean ship of Academic research, University of Jordan, Amman) Vol.21 series B, No.5, Sept. 1994.
14. “A Preliminary Study of Using Micro Piles in Expansive Soils”; “Al- Muhandis”, the scientific Journal of The Iraqi Engineers Society, Baghdad. Vol. 123, No.3, Sep.1995.
15. “Development of Uplift Forces on Piles Embedded in Expansive Soil” “DIRASAT” (A referred research journal published by the Dean ship of Academic research, University of Jordan, Amman), Vol.23, No.2, 1996.
16. “Effect of Seasonal Moisture Change on Swelling Behavior of Soil”; Indian Geotechnical Journal, I.G.J. Vol.26, No.2 1996.
17. “The Use of Micro Pile Technique for Heave Control”; “Engineering & Technology”, the scientific journal of the University of Technology-Baghdad. Vol. 15, No.10, 1996.
18. “The Influence of the Size of the Sample on the Swelling Behavior of Soil”; “Al- Muhandis”, the scientific journal of The Iraqi Engineers Society, Baghdad. Vol. 125, No.1, Sept. 1996.
19. “Reinforced Lime Columns- an Encouraging Technique for Heave Control/A Preliminary Study”; Al- “Muhandis”, the scientific journal of The Iraqi Engineers Society, Baghdad. Vol. 127, No.3, Sept. 1996.
20. “The Uplift Movement of Model Pile in Expansive Soil”; “Engineering & Technology” , the scientific journal of the University of Technology -Baghdad. Vol. 16, No.1, 1997.
21. “Reinforced Lime Columns – A New Technique for Heave Control of Soil”; Proc. 3 rd Int. Conf. On Ground Improvement, Geosystems London, June 1997.
22. “Partially Penetrated Sand Drains In Soft Clay”.Proc.4th Scientific Engineering Conference, College of Engineering University of Baghdad, Vol.1,pp 36-41, 1997.
23. “Heave Prediction from Element Test and Full Scale Model” Proc. of 13th South East Asian Geotechnical Conference SEAGE 13, 1998.
24. “Preliminary Investigation of Skirted Foundation”, Proc. of the 2nd Scientific Conf. of the College of Engineering, University of Al-Mustansiria, Baghdad, Aug. 1998.
25. “Behavior of Reinforced Concrete Model Piles In Expansive Soils “; Proc. of 2nd International Conf. on Unsaturated Soils UNSAT98, Beijing, China ,Vol. 1,pp321-326. Aug. 1998.
26. “The Upward Movement and Uplift Forces of a Group of Reinforced Concrete Model Pile Embedded in Expansive Soils “; “Engineering and Technology”, the scientific journal of the University of Technology, Baghdad, Vol.18, No.5, 1999.
27. “Swelling Characteristics of Two Sites in Baghdad with Proposed Remedies“; “Engineering and Technology”, the scientific journal of the University of Technology, Baghdad, Vol.18, No.3, 1999.
28. “Effect of the Particle Size of Sand on Failure Loads”; Proc. of 3rd Engineering Scientific Conf. Organized by Military College of Engineering, Baghdad, Vol.1, pp87-92, April 2000.
29. “Load Settlement of Strip Model Footing above Cavity”; First Regional Conference, Al-Anbar University, Ramadi, Iraq, 2001.
30. “Undrained Shear Strength of Baghdad Clay” , First Regional Conference, Al- Anbar University, Ramadi, Iraq, 2001.
31. “Effect of Aging on the Swelling Characteristics of Compacted Soils”; First Regional Conference, Al-Anbar University, Ramadi, Iraq, 2001.
32. “The Collapsible Behavior of Gypseous Soils” 7th Jordanian Geological Conference, Amman, April 2001.
33. “Philosophy of Specialized Studies in Civil Engineering”; Meeting of the Arab Engineers Union, Amman, Jordan, July 2001.
34. “Factors Influencing the Asphalt Cement Test”; 3rd Jordanian Civil Engineering Conference, Amman, Oct. 2001.
35. “Assessment of Deformation along the Roof of Model Cavity”; 3rd Jordanian Civil Engineering Conference, Amman, Oct. 2001.
36. “Evaluation of Pile Loading Tests in Baghdad City “ “Al-Handasa” , the scientific journal of the College of Engineering, University of Baghdad,Vol 2 2001.
37. “Improving Stone Columns Performance through Asphalt-Cement Material”; 2nd Minia Int. Conf. For Advanced Trends in Engineering, April 7-9 2002, Al Minia, Egypt.
38. “Improving Soft Clay Performance through Enlarged Base Stone Columns” 2nd Minia Int. Conf. For Advanced Trends in Engineering. April 7-9 2002, Al- Minia, Egypt.
39. "الإبداع الهندسي و العلمي لماذنة ملوية سامراء"; مؤتمر مساهمات العرب و المسلمين في العلوم و
التكنولوجيا / جامعة اليرموك/كلية العلوم / قسم الفيزياء / ايلول 2002
40. “Analysis of Pile - Pile Cap Interaction”; 1st Int. Conf. on Civil Engineering Sciences, pp.407-415, Vol. 1, Oct. 2003, Assiut, Egypt.
41. “Evaluation of Design Parameters for Rigid Airfield Pavements” “Al-Muhandis”, the scientific journal of the Iraqi Engineers Society,Vol.152,No.2,2002. Baghdad, Iraq.
42. “Improvement of Soft Clay Using Stone Columns With Concrete Plug” First Engineering Conf. University of Aden, pp 263-271,Vol.1,16-18 Dec.2002
43. برامج الهندسة المدنية و حقل العمل في القرن الجديد
ندوة التعليم الهندسي في القرن الجديد / أبو ظبي / ا تحاد المهندسين العرب/ 2003
44. “The Use of Stone Columns Stabilized with Cement and Lime”; “Al-Muhandis” “the scientific journal of the Iraqi Engineers Society, Vol.154, No.1, 2003, Baghdad. Iraq
45. “The Environmental Effects of Sand-Dune Movement on AL-ADHIM River”; published in the proc. of 2nd Int. conference for Development and Environment in the Arab World, pp.283-292, 23-25 March 2004, Assiut, Egypt.
46. “Basic Parameters for the Design of Stone Columns”; Int. Conf. on Geotechnical Engineering, GEO, pp 337-342, Beyrouth, Lebanon, 2004.
47. “Collapsibility of Compacted Gypseous Soil”; Séminaire international sur le compactage des sols, pp 172-179, Mars, 2005, Tunisie.
48. ”Estimation of Bearing Capacity of Soils Using Remote Sensing Techniques”; Int. Con. on Advanced Remote Sensing for Earth Observation Systems,-- Techniques and Application, 7-11 May 2005, RIYADH, Saudi Arabia.
49. “Pile –Pile Cap Interaction of a Special High Structure”; published in 3rd
Minia Int. Conf. of Advanced Trends in Engineering, 3-5 April 2005, Al- Minia, Egypt.
50. “Permeability of Base Course Materials”; published in 3rd Minia Int. Conf.
of Advanced Trends in Engineering, April 2005, Al-Minia, Egypt.
51.“ Footings on Gypseous Soils”; International Conf. on Problematic Soils, GEOP2005, Cyprus.
52. “Postgraduate Studies in Engineering–Facts and Future: Case Study of the University of Technology”; paper presented to the Round Table on Revitalization of Higher Education in Iraq /21-23 Feb.2005 at UNESCO headquarters, Paris.
53. ”Academic Freedom in Arab Universities”; the Academic Freedom Conference organized by UNESCO, Sept 10-11, 2005, Alexandria, Egypt.
54. “Higher Education in Iraq: Development and Challenges”; IAU Horizons, World Higher Education News.
55. “Proposed Research Strategies” presented at the 2nd International Symposium on Higher Education in Iraq, Sept. 15-17, London.
56. “Evaluation of Traffic Management Plans in CBD Area within Baghdad City”; presented at the conference on Applications of Advanced Technology in Transportation, ASCE, 2006.
57. “Iraqi Point Perspective on Construction Building Codes”; paper presented at the Trade Workshop on Standards and Codes for the Iraqi Construction Sector organized by the US National Institute of Standards and Technology, July 2006, Maryland.
58. “Lowering of Ground Water Levels in The Ancient City of Babylon”; presented at 3rd International Conference on Water Resources in the Mediterranean Basin (WATAMED-3), 1-3 Nov. 2006, Tripoli, Lebanon.
59. “Overview of Construction Policy of Iraq”; paper presented/published at the 5th International Conference on Construction Project Management (ICCPM), 1- 2, March 2007, Singapore.
60. “Model Tests of Enlarged Base Stone Columns” Published in the 13th Asian Regional Conf. in Geotechnical Engineering held in Kolkata/India,Vol.1,Part 2,pp865-868, Oct.2007.
61.“Effect of Fluctuation of Water Table on The Collapsibility of Gypseous Soils” International Conf .on Geotechnical Engineering, (ICGE08), Hammamet ,Tunisia ,March 2008
62. “Deformability of Gypseous soil in Iraq” Proceedings of the 17th Int. Conf. on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Alexandria,Egypt,.pp727-729
63. “ Statistical Analysis of Some Geotechnical Properties of Najaf City” Accepted for publication and presentation in the Int. Geotechnical Conf. (Geotechnical Challenges in Mega cities) to be held in Moscow 7-10 June 2010.
64. “ Reliability Based Design of Pile Raft Foundation” Accepted for Publication in “Engineering & Technology” , the scientific journal of the University of Technology -Baghdad
65. “Water Infiltration Characteristics of Al-Najaf City Soil “Accepted for publication in the 4th Int. Conf. on Geotechnical Engineering and Soil Mechanics ,November 2-3 ,2010 , Tehran, Iran
66. “Degradation of Stiffness of Gypseous soils due to fluctuation of water table” Accepted for publication in the 14th Asian Regional Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (23-27 May 2011)
§ Outstanding Professor; Building and Construction Engineering, 1997-1998.
§ Outstanding Professor; Building and Construction Engineering, 1998-1999.
§ Outstanding Professor; University of Technology, 1999 – 2000.
§ Technology Prize; University of Technology, 2000 – 2001.
§ “Reinforced Lime Columns–A New Technique For Heave Control In Expansive Soils”; International Classification: E O2 D 1/100, Patent No. 2581, 3/00, 5/2/1996- I.C.O.S.Q.C.
§ “Designing and Manufacturing Load Cell to Measure Lateral Swelling Pressure”; International Classification GOIB 7/00, Patent No. 2628 30/1/1997 - I.C.O.S.Q.C.
§ “Use of Cement Dust to Stabilize Sand Dunes”; International Classification CO4 B7/24, Patent No. 2754/26, 30/1/1999 - I.C.O.S.Q.C.
§ “Reinforced Stone Columns Stabilized with Lime—A New Method to Improve Soft-Soil Performance”; International Classification: CO2 B 3/O8, Patent No. 2819, 25/3/2000 - I.C.O.S.Q.C.
Fields of Interest
§ Modeling in Geotechnical Engineering.
§ Behavior of Expansive Soils.
§ Improving the Performance of Soft Soils.
§ Planning and Supervising Educational and Training Programs in Civil Engineering.
§ Environmental and Geotechnical Properties of Iraqi Marshes.
§ Consultant Member/Iraqi Engineers Union
§ Secretary General of the Iraqi Society of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering
§ Member of The British Geotechnical Society 1988-1990
§ Member of The American Society of Civil Engineers
§ Member of the South East Geotechnical Society 1990 – 1996
§ Member of Iraqi Codes Committee
§ Member of Patent Evaluation Committee / Ministry of Planning
§ Member of The Office of Terminology, Translation and Publishing /Iraqi Academy of Science
§ Member of the Higher Committee Developing Education in Iraq/Office of Prime Minster